Spring. Time to Check the Bloomin’ Plumbing!
Filed under Home Tips on Apr 21,2014 | Tagged in: home repairs, plumbing problems, Springtime Plumbing, Springtime Real Estate
Every season brings the potential for plumbing problems. With Spring in the air, now’s the time to think prevention! These simple maintenance tips can keep your pipes, faucets and other plumbing elements performing perfectly.
Springtime Plumbing Maintenance Tips
1. Faucets. Dripping faucets can waste water. Check for leaks and make the needed repairs.
2. Drains. Keep hair, soap and other gook from entering and clogging your drains by installing a simple strainer.
3. Toilets. A quick way to look for hidden leaks is to add a few drops of food coloring to the toilet tank. Wait about half an hour and check to see if the color ends up in the bowl. If it does, you have a leak. While you’re at it, look for cracks or leaks in the tank and bowl. Make sure your toilet is flushing properly, too. If you need to jiggle the handle or hold it down to get a thorough flush, you may need to replace worn tank parts. Doing all of these things can help lower your water bill.
4. Water Supply Valves. Look under your sinks and toilets and check the water valves. Open and close them a few times to help keep them lose and prevent them from sticking.
5. Shower Head. Shower heads can get clogged by mineral deposits. Here’s an easy way to keep them clean. Take the shower head off and place it in a baggie of vinegar. Or, fill a plastic bag with vinegar, place it over the shower head, and hold it in place with rubber band. Let the shower head soak for about eight hours, then remove the baggie and scrub the showerhead with a toothbrush to remove the deposits.